Baseball Jones has taken the liberty to offer his opinion, and comment in bold…
Ryan Gleichowski, the agent for would-be free agent speedster Scott Podsednik, told the Chicago Tribune on Friday that he had a preliminary discussion with Sox assistant general manager Rick Hahn. The sides agreed to speak again later this month.
“It’s in the early stages,” Gleichowski told the newspaper.
The agent’s comments in the Tribune followed a story on MLB.com last week in which Podsednik expressed interest in returning to Chicago’s South Side, but indicated he would not simply jump at Chicago’s first offer. Mistake #1, if it was your plan to get the most that you could in a “murky” market , and this was a clear signal that you were open to going other places, you should have retained the services of a more aggressive agent, perhaps the likes of Scott Boras, or someone of his ilk.
“No, we are going to wait it out and see what happens,” Podsednik said. “If they want to try to bring me back, then we will entertain that idea and go from there. But this is all kind of a new process to me. I’m going to seek counsel from my representation and do what we feel is best. Mistake #2, and a slap at White Sox management when you said the 2 words “if” and “try” in the same sentence, which is never a good idea, especially when they did you a solid by employing you last season when literally nobody else was interested.
“I really don’t know what to expect and what kind of market there’s going to be for me, but I’m going into it open-minded. I’m going to learn as much about the process as I possibly can.” Mistake #3, you should have done your learning before making this statement, then it wouldn’t have been necessary to alert everyone out there who might be interested in your services that you really don’t have a clue what you are doing!
What it seems clear to me based on everything that I’ve read about the evolution of this situation was that it was an experiment that started out with high hopes of cashing in a multi-year contract on the heels of a career season, that was (unbeknownst to the navigators)doomed for failure from the beginning. Not only did a player who was lucky to be in a Major League uniform in 2009, receive very little interest in a market that was (and continues to be) flooded with overpriced talent, but he accepted a relatively low-dollar, 1-year offer from a basement-dwelling small market team, the Kansas City Royals. Obviously, the guaranteed salary of $1.75MM was a significant bump from his pay for a short-season (high production) last year, but the final terms were far from what he had originally set out to capture.
We may never know the offer that was discussed from the White Sox, but (here’s where I speculate) I would be very surprised to hear that it was for much less (or even if it was for a bit more) than what he eventually agreed to accept from a team that will be very hard-pressed to compete for anything other than 4th place in a competetive, and equally-matched AL Central division.
So now that we have all witnessed how this mini-drama has played out, it would seem that what once was a great opportunity (for both sides) to extend a past and present productive and positive relationship, was doomed from the beginning after this “Titanic” of a plan originally left the port to steam off into the icy waters of the Atlantic, or better known as the MLB Free Agent Market…We’ll all witness first-hand (18 times, IF he stays healthy) how this eventually plays out this season as the 2 teams tangle in the same Division, but one thing for certain is that the odds are stacked heavily against it being a winning prosposition for Mr. Scott Podsednik. And, then again, maybe it didn’t have anything at all to do with winning for this player?